Friday 1 December 2023

Dear First-Year Teacher

Dear First-Year Teacher,

When I think about my own season as a first-year educator, I wish I could give my past self a big ol’ hug. Every day can feel like you’re learning so much while trying to teach at the same time! From veteran teachers everywhere–we hear you, and we have all been there.

Sarah Besand, a teacher and Possip Reporter, encourages first-year teachers with tips and advice from seasoned educators. 

Teachers build up each other. Whether it’s staff members in your building showing you tricks of the trade or teachers in this blog sharing their advice, teachers help teachers. Here’s a collection of tips and advice from veteran teachers who were once in your very same shoes.

Prioritize Self Care

As I interviewed a pool of educators I admire, I heard a clear emphasis on prioritizing self care again and again. As teachers, we can often feel committed to many  projects and tasks throughout the day. However, prioritizing self care on our to-do list ultimately makes us stronger in our field. It’s important to remember that our students prosper when we are healthy, calm, and well-rested. 

It’s also important for our students to see relaxed and regulated role models in their life. In our fast-paced world today, self-care can frequently be pushed to the back burner, and our students mimic what they are surrounded by. Consider modeling for students what it looks like to take care of yourself emotionally and physically as an important investment in the next generation.

Self-care can look different for every teacher. I find rejuvenation while hiking, practicing yoga, and journaling. For another teacher it could be making time for a Zumba class or playing with their children. For another it could be weekly therapy. If you find something restful and energizing at the same time, it’s probably a great self-care choice for you. Remember that what serves you best can change over time. Here’s a blog with more ideas!

Advice from veteran teachers:

“There will always be something to you–you have to shut it off sometimes!” -Hope P.

“My self-care routine is the key to my success as a teacher. The more I invest in myself, the better teacher I become.” -Sarah B.

Organize and Simplify Your To-Do List

Simplify. Simplify. As teachers, we have to accept that our to-do list never truly finishes. This can feel overwhelming or empowering or both at the same time! Explore techniques that can help you break up tasks into small chunks or tasks for different days. Check out Maximizing Planning Time: A Perspective for Teachers and Administrators for more details on those ideas.

As I spoke with several veteran teachers I admire, I was reminded of several ideas for simplifying that I’d like to incorporate myself as well. This mostly revolved around focusing on one thing at a time, and I know this could help first-year teachers too. In my day-to-day life, I’ve often found myself trying to make copies, send an email, and call a parent in the same 10 minutes. My mentors reminded me that being present in every step reduces my stress levels and improves the quality of what I am producing!

Advice from veteran teachers:

“It’s easy to feel overwhelmed, so just focus on one thing at a time.” -Shelby B.

“Set boundaries but be flexible with yourself.” -Melynda B.

Seek a Mentor

For every challenge teaching for the first time brings, a mentor can help tremendously. Sometimes schools have a mentor program already in place. If this doesn’t exist at your school, seeking a mentor will be transformative to your teaching practice.

Asking a teacher you admire to be your mentor can be incredibly rewarding for that teacher. The simple question of: “I love the way you teach and I’m inspired by your longevity in the career. Will you be my teaching mentor?” is such an honor for a veteran teacher. And they will more than likely be happy to help assist you on your journey! They can be there for questions you may have, advice you are seeking, or simply a listening ear. 

First-year teacher, you are destined for greatness! We hope these tips from folks who have been in your shoes help on your journey. Remember, we are here for you.

Sincerely,

Teachers Everywhere

The post Dear First-Year Teacher appeared first on Possip | Engagement Platform | School Feedback Survey.

No comments:

Post a Comment